Monday, October 9, 2017

A Wonderful Influence.


I became a Christian in the 80's while watching TV.

I had been to a number of Christian events but had not really bought into the whole thing.

I felt pressured and uncomfortable to make a commitment in front of people. 

When I was given an opportunity to pray with someone on TV in the privacy of my living room, I did it.

The man on the screen was Pat Robertson, and the program was the 700 Club. It's a daily spiritual talk show. 

The guests spoke about the miracles that God did for them. 

The commentary was always relevant and the hosts were well spoken. 

In Canada we have a similar program.

 It's 100 Huntley Street.

Why the similarities with using numbers in the names of the show, I am not really sure.

The founder of 100 Huntley Street was a man named, David Mainse. 

To me he seemed a bit too "smiley".  How can anyone keep a grin for so long? 

He was a man in stark contrast to Pat Robertson, the outspoken American.

David was soft spoken, kind and earnest. 

Being a kid from a border town, I was used to the brashness of our southern neighbors, so I cut my teeth on watching 700 Club and left the Canadian Shows to find their own audience elsewhere.  (Seniors, I thought.  That's their guy!)

Fast forward to 2010.

I am employed in Christian media in Sudbury.  It's been a dream of mine since I became a believer. 

I had thought I would end up in TV, but I was in Christian Radio at KFM, hosting the morning show and doing production.  Our station manager told us one day that 100 Huntley Street founder, David Mainse will be coming through Sudbury on a "Thank You Canada" tour!  He was to speak at Glad Tidings Church, which he was instrumental in building!  He also had some free time and we were invited to cruise Lake Ramsey along with him and his grand daughter and her husband!  I was intrigued to meet this man I had heard about.  The 80's were a tumultuous time for preachers on TV.  They were not trusted and being mocked.  David weathered those storms with integrity and Huntley Street kept true to it's mission to reach the lost!

It was a wonderful day and I was very impressed with David.  As the trip went on, he was easy going and loved to chat about the Lord!  At one point he lifted up his voice and said something like "Thank you Jesus for this wonderful day!"

There was no pretension, no hint that he was anything else than a genuine believer, doing his best to win people to the savior!

I was saddened to hear about his passing, September 25. 

He had been sick for some years.

My wife and I were blessed to be at his celebration of life service at Church on the Queensway in Toronto.

I was moved by the stories of David's faithfulness and authenticity.  My admiration deepened even more.  I determined  to model my life along his example!  He was a great father and husband to.

I would urge you to watch the service and allow his influence to guide you to!

Click http://www.crossroads.ca/streaming-david-mainse/


No comments: