Tuesday, September 8, 2015

FanExpo 2015!


Part of being a geek is that you not only have an interest in a particular genre of sci-fi or fantasy, you are also keenly aware of what goes on behind the scenes to bring these stories and characters to life.

I don’t know why but I have always wanted to know who plays a character and how they went about creating that personality. Some of the most fascinating are the actors who provide voice talent to cartoon or video game characters.

I am the guy who watches the credits to see who it was who stood behind a mic in a soundproof room and read a script that before they read it was just word on a paper, but when they are done, it’s a story.

This past weekend I again got the chance to go to FanExpo in Toronto. It’s a huge convention of all manner of sci-fi, fantasy, comic book and video game fans! There are booths full of artwork, props, costumes and t-shirts. There are areas to meet the stars and get an autograph, but one of my favourite parts is the Q&A time with the actors. This year I only wanted to go to two seminars and both were with Tom Kenny, the voice behind the character of Spongebob Squarepants!



If you had kids in the late 90’s you know who Spongebob is better than most! The character is an eager sea sponge who is an employee of the Crusty Crab diner. He works with his neighbour, Squidward, who he annoys to no end. He also has a best friend who is a starfish named, Patrick. Spongebob has a high pitched voice, full of optimism. His laugh is like the sound of a porpoise.

I love unique characters and Spongebob is definitely one of those, so I was looking forward to getting up close to the man behind the voice!

Tom was part of a talk about the cartoon Adventure Time, in which he also plays a role. I don’t follow the show and I don’t really understand it so I had to endure most of the chit chat without a clue!

It came to Q&A time and I jumped up to ask my question behind a couple other kids at mic at the side of the auditorium. I asked someone connected with the event if I could ask a quick question about Spongebob, even though the talk was supposed to be about Adventure Time. She said it would be OK. 





My turn came and my heart was poundings! I asked him about an episode where he sings a silly song, one part of the song seems like it was from someone else so I wanted to know if he did it all! (We sing the song with the kids and it’s an inside joke thing with us) I actually did the voice in my question! Holy Cow!

Tom answered that he did do the whole song and proceeded to sing it, much to the delight of the whole crowd who cheered!

AWESOME!

I stepped aside so more kids could ask other questions including one star-struck 15 year old girl who wanted to marry Tom!

It was a great time and Tom came over to the edge of the stage after to get quick pictures taken and to shake hands. One hand was mine! Cool!



He was so gracious with everyone and really had to be dragged away to do another thing.

FanExpo is a crowded event that can be frustrating to deal with at times, but it’s always so much fun!

Until next year!



Excelsior!






No comments: