Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Revelations from The Gym - Part One: Come As You Are



I have been going to the gym now for a while.  

I mostly use the treadmill because I want to see a thinner shadow when the sun finally decides to melt the snow.

While I am on the treadmill, many thoughts pass through my mind.  Some are even very deep!

Like the other day, I realized three distinct things about church and spiritual growth.

I am going to lay them out in separate blogs.

The first is about the types of people who stroll into the gym, and by extension, into church.

This though came to me as I began to notice that, there are some people who come to the gym like it's a fashion show.  They have the best workout clothes and even have makeup on!  They look like the gym is the last place they need to be right now.  They have it all together.

Then there are people who, like me, need a lot of work!  They are not the super-fit or the most healthy, they are there to turn into the other people who seem to be perpetually ripped.

These are the people I like most.  Because I can relate.

I think the gym should be filled with folks who are in need of better health.  Good for them for coming in!

It can be intimidating to come and work out because of all the "perfect" people there.

Church is like that that.

The more we can get those in the worse shape in the doors the better.  That's what it's for.

Some gyms advertise that they are a place of "no judgement", and I say AMEN.

Bless you for even coming through the doors, you are now on a journey of transformation.

Get ready to sweat and be encouraged to be better...you can do it!


No comments: