Sunday, March 22, 2015

Revelations From The Gym - Part Two: The Mirror



As I continue to observe the spiritual aspects of going to the gym, one has stood out.

The mirror is not a workout machine, but it gets a lot of use none the less.

I see in the bible that James compared the word of God to a mirror. (James 1:22-25 for you Bible nerds like me.)

If that's true, then something else I have noticed is also true...

The mirror is a also a source of PRIDE, depending on how you look at it.

At the gym, especially in the locker room, there is a lot of posing and selfie activity.

I watched one day as a guy flexed with one hand and snapped a picture of himself with his phone in the other!

The same thing happens out on the work out floor, people admire their progress regularly in the huge wall to wall mirrors.

This can be true of the bible.

There is a danger that we read the bible and look at our lives and think, wow, I am doing so good, way better than others!  I've got it all together man, what is wrong with you other people?

Instead of looking at the mirror to see an honest reflection of who we are and what needs improving, we use that as a measuring stick for how better we are than others.

Do you agree?


No comments: