Tuesday, October 21, 2014

What is confidence?


Who does this guy think he is?


He's Gene Simmons, that's who!

Gene Simmons said this in an interview...

"People often confuse, at least in my estimation, my pride and self-confidence with arrogance. Because they are not used to people who have an in-your-face, 'take it or leave it/this is how I am' point of view. I'm more like an animal in the jungle that (urinates) on the ground and doesn't ask your permission. 'This is me, this is my territory.' It's simply defining who I am and what I stand for."
"That's called full disclosure, before the facts. Others simply hold their opinions to themselves and never say who they are. You will always know who I am. You don’t have to like it; that's OK if you don't."

I need help with something...

What exactly is confidence?

I hear about being humble as a Christian.  Humility is something characteristic of a good person in general.

But what is it?
Is confidence a good thing when it comes to being a Christian or is it the thin edge of pride?
I need a certain degree of confidence in my everyday life just to get through the day.
I can hear the response to this in my head, "It's being confident in God, and knowing who you are in HIM that gives us true boldness."
I understand that, but sometimes that can come off as pride to.  

1 Peter 5:5New International Version (NIV)

In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”


I admire those who are confident, but I find it hard to be so myself at times.

Any thoughts?



No comments: